Friday, January 14, 2011

Sibling Rivalry

What is sibling rivalry? Something I'm sure all of you know, heard and have experienced it yourself. We all know that it is common for brothers and sisters to fight. From KidsHealth website it says here that, "Often, sibling rivalry starts even before the second child is born, and continues as the kids grow and compete for everything from toys to attention." This is so true. Now that I have two children, there will definitely be this problem added to my already existing problems. This is what you can expect when you are planning for baby number two. But is also something we all have to go through.

I think I gave my mom her fair share of headaches when my sister and I fight. I remember if I hit my sister once, she will hit me double! If I hit her twice, she will hit me four times! LOL. Big bully, hmph! Now, in front of my eyes, I have to witness my two children fighting. "It can be frustrating and upsetting to watch — and hear — your kids fight with one another." That is again from KidsHealth and it's so very true too.

KidsHealth also said that, "It's also common for them to swing back and forth between adoring and detesting one other!" That's so funnily true too! I mean my sister and I were like that too and it amused my parents a lot. I get amused by my own kids too. Elizabeth is always the one who doesn't want to share her toys. She even snatches away from her brother. I also don't get this. I have so many toys at home that I think I can open a nursery and yet whatever big sister is playing, little brother wants it too. It's as if that the toy in her hand is the best toy in the world and he must have it. And so he tries to snatch away from his sister. Sometimes he is successful but most of the time he is not. Then he'll throw himself in a fit of anger and come running towards me 'complaining'. One thing about him though is he doesn't get angry when his sister snatches away his toy.

What do I do or how to I deal with them? It depends on the situation. Just today morning, Elizabeth was shouting at her brother, "No! No! No!" And not long after Joseph came running to me crying and 'complaining' as usual. Thinking it was because Elizabeth didn't want to share the toys, I asked her to share them but she replied back. "No! Didi is playing with Papa's phone!" So I went to the 'crime scene' and yes, my hubby's phone was indeed lying on the floor. I apologised to Elizabeth and explained to Joseph that he is wrong and that he is not suppose to play with our phones. I don't know whether it gets into his head because he laughed back at me but at least it's more like to appease Elizabeth that I took some form of action instead of just letting her brother get away with it. But later they were fighting over toys and to my horror I saw Elizabeth using her elbow to knock on her brother's head. I don't know why she likes to do that. I have to explain to her many times not to do that and to share toys. Like a broken record!

All that in the morning. Now you know why it's hard for me to leave home and reach office on time.

Elizabeth:"Go get your own toys!"

Joseph still not giving up. Sorry no pictures of hitting each other as I don't condone violence..:P
On good days when they just love each other soooo much.

Wah they look like lovers in this picture.

They just can't get enough of each other!

I wish this can go on and on without ending.

2 comments:

  1. oh yes! I remember sibling rivalry too! But we will outgrow it so don't worry k?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww..they look so ultra cute and sweet towards each other. Can't wait to see how mine will react to each other one day! :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...