Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Stepping Into Standard 1

I hope it's not too late to wish my readers a very Happy New Year and I hope everyone had a good start to the new year. I have been 'missing in action'. Maybe it's the holidays or maybe I've been experiencing a 'blogger's block'. LOL. Maybe it's the back-to-school chaos that's been happening. Elizabeth just started Standard 1 and Joseph just started kindy. I can't help thinking Elizabeth's is no longer a small baby anymore. My baby is in Standard 1 now! Boo hoo. So what's up in my life recently? Preparing them for school. From uniforms to bags to water bottle! My husband and I took a few days off from work to be with them.

So how did your children fare on their first day of school? Elizabeth did fine during the 1 day orientation and I thought I could breathe a sigh of relief. We did a trial run on that day. Woke her up, bathed, brush teeth, gave her breakfast, all the works. During orientation, the children went for a visit to their classes and around the school while parents listened to briefings by the headmistress, school chairman and head of the Parent Teachers Association. She did fine on that day.

Just after her bath with the uncombed hair. Hard boiled eggs with light soya sauce, her favourite and milk for breakfast. 

Giving a smile before setting off to school for her orientation. Her new school bag given by Grandma.
Then the real day came. She told me the night before that she doesn't want to go to school. I asked her why. She said that she's scared of the teacher. I said I don't see anything wrong with the teacher and she seemed nice. She said she was a little fierce at one point. But I told her that sometimes the teacher may seemed fierce just because they raise their voice. They have to raise their voice because they otherwise not everybody can hear her. That explanation was not enough apparently because she got teary eyed when she entered the school. Great scott! We even made it into Sin Chew's newspaper! LOL. History repeats itself. Her crying days in kindy are back? And I thought having Aiman, her good friend in kindy who is in the same class as her in Standard 1(what a coincident!) can make her feel better. She cried till day 4 of school and finally on day 5 it stopped. Thank God. I pray that this crying ordeal will be finally over.

We even made it in the newspaper ok. Hari ini dalam sejarah!

Trying hard to control her tears but it soon flowed after.

In a better mood already. Recess time with her meal. I catered food with the canteen first. See how it goes first then decide later once everything's more settled.

She's sitting right in front. An advantage for being one of the shortest in class? LOL. 
On the other hand, Joseph fared well in school. He was all smiles on his first day. Thank God! Phew! He always came home tired. I wonder if school is that stressful or he played too hard. LOL. Poor baby. And as if like taking turns. Suddenly he started crying on the 4th and 5th day. He was doing good so far. So I don't understand why. The teacher said he was ok in school. Maybe reality has set in and he knows this is not playschool. Anyway, I pray hard that he'll get over this soon.

This was on the first day. All smiles. Maybe he thought he was going to playschool. LOL.

Smiling for the camera. 
And you know what? Not only it'll be stressful for kids, it'll be a stressful journey for me now. What a bummer..hehe. With all the rush in the mornings, worry over their progress in school to making sure they get sufficient sleep. It's not easy for us mums huh? Now, I'm looking forward to the next school holidays. When is it? ;)

16 comments:

  1. Muahahaha! I wanted to laugh while reading your post. Because it sounded so familiar for me 2 years ago, when my elder was in Standard 1. But now, my second one is in Standard 1, I have no sweat at all. Everything is smooth sailing, perhaps second child is easier for me to cope with. Good luck, Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just laugh only, Yan. It's really quite a funny story. hehe. Btw, what sounded familiar? You were in the newspaper too? How did your second one fare? She didn't cry?

      Delete
  2. I remember when my girl entered std one and my boy first time in kindy during the same year too. We had to split our husband wife team into two to check on them hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add I reall found the we even made it into the newspaper part too funny!

      Delete
    2. Hi MG. We wanted to split but then in the end we could cope with rushing here and there. LOL. *shy* about the made it into the newspaper part. If not because my SIL told me, I wouldn't even know we were in the newspaper because I don't read chinese newspaper!

      Delete
  3. Hope your girl and your boy are doing Good in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Mery. Now my girl stopped crying already. Instead it's my boy fighting his tears when he arrived in school today. LOL.

      Delete
  4. I was feeling overly excited for my son too! He did ok during the orientation, but shed some tears on the 1st and 2nd day. Phew....everything is ok now as he has got some friends already.

    Wow.....a nice shot by the journalist. hehe..... must frame that up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah hah! I thought your son won't cry. hehe. Haven't had time to frame it up. LOL.

      Delete
  5. This all I have to face next year when Ethan goes to Std 1. As it is now, he is not even in kindergarten when he should... >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. Ethan should be doing fine. He seems to be ok mixing around with other kids.

      Delete
  6. awww...ii hope she's copng fine now. :) Havng a supportive mama, helps a lot. :) Love her drawings of the planets too! Happy New YEar to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks Martha. She's stopped crying already for now. Thank God. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  7. Ohh..same as you. My big E first yr in Std 1 and small E first year in kindy. Wahh...HISTORICAL Moment..Next time when your girl is big and see this paper cut out again, sure she will have a big laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes not only she will have a big laugh. The whole family will laugh together with her. LOL.

      Delete
  8. hahaaha....so funny to see mommy and daughter in the newspaper :) poor girl must be terrified of the new environment. glad that she is ok now. do remember to frame or laminate the news cutting :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...